I made my first ever stew, and am very excited to say it was a success! YAY!
For those of you who don’t know me, I don’t usually do much cooking. My husband is the main cook in the house, and I am a kitchen newbie – LOL!
Here is what I used:
Here’s what I did with all of that:
- Put the bone broth into slow cooker and set it to low heat. (My bone broth was still partially frozen).
- Put the cooking fat (mine was from bacon grease) into a cast iron skillet, set it to medium heat and added the stew beef, half of the onion chopped, half of the garlic chopped, and salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs to taste. Cover the skillet and cook the meat, stirring frequently.
- Chop the rest of the onion and garlic and add them to the thawing broth.
- Chop up the root vegetables into bite sized pieces, and put them into a bowl.
- Add the cooked meat along with all of the juices from it cooking into the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped veggies into the slow cooker.
- Add filtered water until veggies and meat are just covered.
- Add herbs and spices to taste.
- Turn up slow cooker to high and let it simmer for a good 7+ hours (it’s a good dish to setup before you leave for work and it will be ready when you get back home).
- Chop the chives and sprinkle on top of the bowl of stew when serving.
Obviously, there are lots of other root veggies you could add if you like. Being I’m on the AIP Paleo Diet I didn’t add potatoes (they are a nightshade). I could’ve added sweet potatoes, but I don’t like them so I left them out. At least I learned, stews are easy to make, and taste great! Even our 12 year old son was surprised to find he actually like the veggies in the stew! (He is not a veggie eater by choice usually – LOL).
Do you have any favorite stew recipes?