I felt completely spoiled today because my wonderful husband took the time to find ways to make a Thanksgiving Dinner that I could eat while sticking to my AIP Paleo Diet!
The turkey was the one part of the meal I figured I would safely be able to eat. But he surprised me with a AIP Paleo stuffing that was delicious!
For the stuffing he started with the Coconut Flour Bread found on L.Michelle’s Blog here but he tweaked it using a reader’s comments on flax for an egg replacement and the addition of 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder. The tweaked recipe looks like this:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 15 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the water and ground flaxseed and let it soak 10 minutes
- Blend the rest dry ingredients together while the flaxseed/water egg substitute is soaking
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until very smooth.
- Grease a small bread pan with coconut oil and fill with batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Once it was cool enough, he cut it into several little rectangles and put them into a bowl. Into that he mixed the meat mix he had cooked on the stove while the coconut bread was cooking:
- 1 lb sausage
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- garlic cloves, salt, pepper, spices to taste
- Put everything into a cast iron skillet and cook until meat is done
Then he took a big spoon and filled the bird with the stuffing! It tasted great!!
He also made homemade cranberries that I could eat. He based his recipe from Taste of Home, but tweaked it so it looked like this:
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine everything in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the berries pop (about 15 minutes). Leftovers store well in the refrigerator.
They came out absolutely delicious! So much so that we liked them even better than the usual way he would make them with refined sugar!
Thanks to my husband, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, even on the AIP Paleo Diet!
Hope everyone else had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well!
Did you have any great recipes? Fell free to share!
Well… I could only manage mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and took what I could get. I’d had dental surgery so wasn’t in the best of shape… Glad you had a good one!
I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve definitely been there before! At least you can make a Thanksgiving style dinner whenever you want and enjoy all of the foods you missed 🙂